Baptism is available at LFKC for anyone who has placed his or her faith in Jesus as their Savior from sin. Once a person has chosen to become a follower of Jesus Christ, baptism is the next step that publicly symbolizes a person’s new life in Him (Matthew 28:19-20; Romans 6:3-5).
What is Baptism?
Baptism is an outward expression of an inward commitment made to Christ. Baptism does not make you a believer – it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not “save” you, only your faith in Christ does. Ephesians 2:8-9
Baptism does not wash away your sins, it symbolizes that Christ washed them away. Baptism is like a wedding ring – it’s the outward expression of the commitment you have made in your heart.
Who Should Be Baptized?
People who have become disciples or followers of Jesus Christ should be baptized as a public demonstration of your new life in Christ. Matthew 28:19-20, Acts 2:41, Acts 8:12-13
Why Should I Be Baptized?
1. To follow Christ’s example: Mark 1:9
2. To obey Christ’s command: Matthew 28:19-20
3. To show you are a Christ-follower: Acts 18:8, 1 John 2:3, Matthew 10:32
4. To identify with Christ’s death, burial and resurrection: Romans 6:3-5
5. To illustrate your new life in Christ: 2 Corinthians 5:17, Romans 6:4
Your baptism is a public testimony of your faith in and commitment to Christ.
How Should I Be Baptized?
The biblical examples of baptism were done by immersion or being submerged briefly under water.
1. Jesus was baptized by immersion: Matthew 3:16
2. The book of Acts is full of examples of baptism by immersion: Acts 8:38-39. Words such as “went down into the water” and “out of the water” give evidence that biblical baptism was by immersion.
3. Immersion best symbolizes death and new life which is the imagery of baptism. In Romans 6:3-5 we find that baptism is symbolic of death, burial and resurrection.
When Should I Be Baptized?
After you give your life to Christ: Acts 2:38, Acts 35-38. As soon as you have given your life to Christ and have received Him as your Savior, you can be baptized. Excluding health problems, there is no reason to delay. If you wait until you’re “perfect,” you’ll never feel “good enough”. Jesus asks you to follow Him in baptism now.
What if I’ve been saved for a while, but haven’t yet been baptized?
If you have put your faith in Christ, and there is evidence that you are growing in the Lord, there is no reason to delay Baptism. Please consider being baptized and using this testimony of God’s grace to share the Gospel and your story wrapped in God’s redemptive story in making you a new creature in Him!
What if I Have Been Baptized Before?
We are called to only once give a profession of our faith in Christ through baptism. If you have already been baptized by immersion in response to your faith and commitment to Christ, we do not ask you to be baptized again.
If you were baptized prior to faith in Christ, we ask you to consider the Bible’s teachings and follow Christ in baptism. If you have questions we invite you to contact us or approach/contact your missional community leader.